14 March 2009

Happy with my Brother


I discovered that I have a strong interest in sewing and took the plunge by going out and buying my first machine (: I bought an entry level machine, a Brother product, since my skill level is basic and my intention is to become better. Like a good librarian, I did my research not only on what machine would be best for me, I also found information on basic knowledge of sewing and best ways to start from square one. I felt confident about the research I did, but the reality of my ambition was not as promising.

The first machine I bought was a Singer Precision. After a long day at work I went home and starting familiarizing myself with the awesome tool. However, during the process of threading the machine, I discovered the it was defective. The threaded needle would not pick up the bobbin thread at the bottom under the presser foot plate. This was a huge disappointment that I wasn't prepared for. I immediately started Googling reasons/solutions for this issue and found out that it was a problem out of my hands. The timing on the machine was not properly tuned. Needless to say, I returned the machine and ended up going home with a Brother machine.

Anyway, my first projects are well on their way. I'm making two baby blankets for friends who are expecting and a canvas grocery tote.

No comments: