27 June 2009

Island Beach State Park

Tom and I went to Island Beach State Park, NJ today. It was my first time there and Tom's second. I enjoyed everything about this beach, especially that it was generally empty as it isn't a NJ summer hot spot. We did normal beach stuff - swimming, tanning, playing games, etc - but Tom, as he always does, took an instant liking to the few dogs on the beach. He really bonded with a yellow lab, Daisy, who was a little feisty (ran off over the dunes with a fellow beach-goer's snack) and very cute. Tom introduced himself to Daisy's family while I grabbed a towel and got comfortable with my book. I glanced up a few times to see that Tom was still chatting. Then I glanced up again and saw that the mother in the family was putting sunscreen on Daisy's nose. I immediately laughed because I knew this was a result of something Tom said. He's full of fun and interesting knowledge. Apparently, the lesson of this action was that a dog can get sunburn on its nose if it's not completely black. Good to know... I guess.

We'll be returning to this beach very soon!






3 comments:

Ben and Debbie Craig, when not sailing Winsome on Maryland's eastern shore, are the proud parents of three beautiful children and one delightful granddaughter in southeastern Pennsylvania. said...

wow! That looks like one of the nicest beaches I have ever seen in NJ. I'm going to check your link!

pam said...

Gorgeous beach...looks like a Vineyard beach! It just isn't what comes to mind when I think "beach in NJ!"

Melissa said...

It really is a beautiful beach. In fact, I kept telling Tom as we were walking on the trail over the dunes about how much it reminded me of some of the beaches on the Vineyard.

Mom, it's right next to Tom's River, NJ (north of AC). It's not very populated like the other beaches in Jersey, but there is a bathing beach that was a bit packed with families because it has bathroom/shower access. There are small parking lots every 3/4 mile apart for beach access. Tom and I chose the second one from the bathing beach since it was less crowded. We had a fantastic time!