04 January 2010

The Best and Worst of the Last Decade

I thought it would be fun to build a little list of the best and worst highlights in my life over the last decade.  So here it goes...

Worst:
1. Had a breakdown, lost myself, did a lot of searching (the searching wasn't a bad thing at all, but very necessary)
2. My paternal grandparents passed away.  I think about them every day and miss them very much
3. Wish I had celebrated my 21st birthday differently
4. Didn't take advantage of a study abroad opportunity (but i guess it's never too late).

Best:
1. Earned a MLS
2. Met Thomas, a man you is wonderful, pleasant, and charming.
3. Visited the West Coast for the first time and saw the Pacific Ocean in person!
4. Bought my first brand new car - this was very exciting until the first bill arrived
5. Visited London and had a fabulous time
6. Got a facial makeover from a professional Hollywood make-up artist.  I remember liking the result but thinking it wasn't good for daytime activities
7. Ivy and I instituted Brother-Sister Weekends with our little brother, Carter.  Since 2007 we've had 5 weekends of uncensored, pure, reality-inspired sibling fun (in a responsible fashion of course ;).  I hope that Carter will always remember these weekends as he grows up.  And even though his sisters are significantly older, he still experienced the joys of having siblings who could be at his level.
8. Took a stand working at an odd job to help an elderly women get the treatment she needed.  I'll never forget Harriet Reed, a woman whose experience highlighted the inequality that exists in our society.  I think this moment opened my heart to the issues of gerontology and helped me formulate my college thesis years later.

I know there are more highlights to note above, but I can't think of any more at the moment.  I'm sure I'll think of a whole bunch on my way to work tomorrow.

2 comments:

pam said...

A very reflective activity...you've got me thinking! I have the same "regret" regarding studying abroad. That is the ONE thing I REALLY wish I had done!

jk said...

I've been doing annual interviews with the kids for the last two years. It was so fun this year to compare what they said last year to this year. We were all in hysterics:) Your whoopie pie photo banner looks delicious!!