12 January 2010

Sleep? What's that?

The last time Tom and I had a good night's sleep was in 2009.  Tom's right knee has been very sore and infected since the 1st of the year.  He was in the hospital for four days getting pumped full of antibiotics and pain killers.  His knee was washed out and after a few days the swelling subsided enough for him to be released.  He's home now but has a PICC line IV to self-administer 3 doses of antibiotics per day.  A visiting nurse comes by to change the dressing (and calm my nerves).  She probably thinks I'm the one who needs help!  I ask her A LOT of questions - questions she says are good but are always answered with statements like, "no, he won't die" and "only call the doc or go to the ER if..."

This experience has been really difficult for Tom.  I constantly have to put myself in his "shoes" to be reminded of just how hard it is for him to get around and do everyday tasks I take for granted.  We're staying strong and going to get through this... looking up and moving forward! 

1 comment:

pam said...

Yikes! Poor Tom! Thinking of you both.