21 October 2009

There's no "I" in Team

I helped my parents out the other weekend by taking Carter to his flag football game. That particular Saturday morning was rainy and gloomy. I thought there would be a good chance of the game being cancelled, but nope, the game must go on! So, I patiently waited through the picture-taking, the practice, and then the game. I loved watching Carter play and enjoy himself on the field. I didn't like the "soccer parents" and their constant verbal reminders from the sidelines directed at their children to: "stay focused!, watch the guy on your left!, grab his flag!" I think directing 8 year olds in a GAME of flag football is a little over the top, don't you think? Just for some sociological fun, I cheered when the other team scored, playfully shouted things like, "yeah baby!, good teamwork!" I think this irritated one mother who seemed to overally agitated about the little mistakes, but I didn't care. Somehow during the last 3 years that her son has been playing football (which she pointed out to me), she forgot that it is a team sport. Oh well, some people don't get it. And never will. At least Carter had fun on a rainy morning playing on a field with kids his age and hopefully learning that there's no "I" in TEAM.

No comments: