21 July 2008

Recessions and Knitting

I listened to "Marketplace" on NPR today on my way home from work.  I really like this program because it gives a relatable approach to financial, economic, and investment topics that are difficult to understand.  There was a segment on how several knitting shops are closing around the country because yarn and other knitting material is being increasingly purchased on the Internet.  This isn't surprising, as this has been a trend for the past few years with other hobbies and products like movies, music, and books.  The interesting part of the knitting shops closing is the analysis of when and why the hobby boomed in order for numerous shops to open.  The program stated that after 9/11 and the recession in 2001 became a reality, people started knitting more to calm nerves, worries, etc.  It was also said that there has been a trend with people spending on hobbies during recessions, which is the interesting sociological perspective I enjoyed about this story.  I like finding out why people do the things they do... and, I'm a knitter!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

LOVE your blog! I'm so excited that you started one. Do you mind if I put a link to it on my blog? How did you do the banner? I want one!

I'm intrigued by your post regarding knitting....I'm going to listen to the NPR story when I have a minute - love how you included the link.

Zoe and Zan loved seeing the photos of Carter on your blog.

The picture of the Louisville T-shirt made me laugh! I had a friend from Louisville (we've lost touch) but her accent was sooooo strong - sometimes I had no idea what she was saying!

Love,
Pam