02 August 2008

Conversations with a 7 year old

Carter and I did all sorts of things today, including playing, drawing, grocery shopping, washing the car, reading, and talking.  Our conversations are really entertaining because of Carter's perspective. While we were waiting to see Tom, we watched a mother change and interact with her baby.  I thought this was extra adorable and mentioned that the baby was so cute and seeing the mother and daughter interact made me want a baby.  I really don't want a baby now but you get the point.  Carter then informed me that I will have a baby and that I just have to wait.  I asked, "what do I have to wait for?"  Carter then says, "you know... for your belly to... you know... get big and full."  He then made the international sign for pregnancy by clasping his hands together and moved them over his stomach region in the shape of a circle.  

Another notable conversation arose when we sat down for lunch at the dining room table. Carter has been fixated on a calendar that is hanging on the wall.  The calendar has a picture of a half-naked women for each month.  This calendar is Tom's and one that I have allowed to stay in its spot as I have not gotten around to redecorating the entry way of the apartment (on my list of things to do).  Anyway, as we were eating, Carter asked me who the calendar belongs to - me or Tom.  He then asked me where it was bought.  I told him Barnes & Noble.  His eyes lit up and said, "oh yeah?"  He then said, in a very innocent way and almost as if he was reminding himself to pick one up on his next trip to the store, "instead of my adventure calendar, I need to get a sexy girls calendar."  His tone and demeanor as he said this had me laughing so hard.

Mom, Carter, and I went to Ikea yesterday to take a gander at new displays and pick up some odds and ends.  Whenever we go to Ikea, we always make a point to eat their staple meal - meatballs/potatoes/gravy.  As we were sitting in a wooden booth by the window, Carter observed people entering and exiting the store.  He then commented on the different kinds of people he was seeing and said, "there are more African Americans here than at home."  My mother chimed in and started telling Carter that Philadelphia has a very diverse community with people from different races, nationalities, and, ultimately, color.  Children notice differences that shouldn't be ignored.  Carter than informed my mom, in a very authoritative way, that he knows about every thing because he learned it at school.  His confidence just amazes me sometimes.  I know he's only 7, but I often think about what I was like at his age, and I know I wasn't as confident about anything as he is. 

These moments are hard to translate as they truly happened, but it always reminds me to slow down and enjoy them.

2 comments:

pam said...

I think it is fabulous that you took the time to record your conversations with Carter! Your recollections made me laugh! I guess partially because they are simply so amusing, but I can also picture Carter's face and hear him so clearly in my mind. You're right...their thoughts and perspectives are so interesting. It is a good reminder for me to record more of that "stuff". Their have been so many times that I have said, "I've got to write that down," but I never seem to get around to it.

I'm going to add a funny Zan story to one of my posts before I forget!

One of the things I love about having a blog is the added bonus of having an on-going "conversation" with you. I feel like I have a little window into your life!

Ivy M Straka said...

This just might be the funniest conversation ever. He's so interesting, and it's hard to believe Carter-Barter is only seven!


I almost pied my pants after I read this.

Keep writing. You are good.